Review: Jose Cuervo Especial Plata (Silver)
Posted by Arctic Wolf on November 4, 2012
According to the Jose Cuervo website, it all began in 1795, when Jose María Guadalupe de Cuervo was producing his Mexcal wine spirit commercially based upon an official permit from the King of Spain. By 1812, he had established La Rojena, the distillery which to this day still produces Jose Cuervo Tequila. By 1844, Jose Cuervo Tequila was being distributed within Mexico, and in 1873 the earliest known documented export of the Tequila outside of Mexico apparently occurred when 3 bottles of Jose Cuervo were transported across the United States border by donkey. As you know, those exports have continued (although no longer by donkey), and now Jose Cuervo is the best-selling tequila brand in the entire world currently owned by Diageo.
The Jose Cuervo Especial is available as both a Gold or ‘joven’ tequila and as a Silver or ‘plata’ tequila. These tequila spirits are not made from 100 % blue agave which means that they are referred to in the industry as Mixto. A Mixto tequila must have at least 51 % of its volume made from blue agave distillate, but the other 49 % can be from other sugars which may include glucose and fructose. The Northern Alberta Marketing team for Diageo arranged for me to receive a bottle of the Jose Cuervo Especial Plata (Silver) to review here on my website. Here is an excerpt from that review:
“… The initial nose from the glass carries a mixture of light honey, mild white pepper and a somewhat muted herbaceous agave (the smell of which actually resembles boiled squash). As I let the glass sit, the light honey tones begin to remind me of sugar cane syrup, and the breezes above the glass reveal a light impression of lemon zest within the white pepper … “
Here is a link to the full review which includes my standard Margarita recipe:
Please enjoy the review!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.